Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:19:08 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vendor specific ASCQ SCSI errors in 2.2-STABLE

>I sometimes get errors of the form:
>        sd0(ahc0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:41,86 Vendor Specific ASCQ, retries
>:4
>only under high load and on multiple different disks (as far as I can reproduc
>the problem).

>From a quick look at the Atlas II tech ref I have here, this is:

DDMA overrun or REQ/ACK overrun/underrun error.

BUT, the manual says that it will return HARDWARE ERROR not ABORTED COMMAND
in this case.  I'll have to go look at how we print out the information to
make sure this is correct.

If this is indeed the case, I would suspect a cabling or termination
problem that rears it's ugly head only under heavy load.

>I have a bunch of identical disks in a 2.2-GAMMA machine and have never seen
>a similar error.

The 2.2-GAMMA driver can't generate the same kinds of load as the current
driver.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations