Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:49:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
Cc:        Glenn McCalley <freebsd@mail.bnetmd.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is soaking up memory?

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Rick Hamell wrote:

> > Stopping apache, raven and minivend (only things running to speak of) only
> > frees about 15MB, so what's got the other 180MB or so?  ps doesn't show
> > anything odd running, and interestingly the % memory used by task shown in
> > ps only totals to about 32%.
>
> 	Does top show any zombie processes?

Zombie processes don't take up any memory(*).

I assume by "32%" you actually added up each RSS field in the ps
output?  Also, you mean from top only "Active" memory.  "Inactive"
memory isn't used by any process.

Does the number of proceses slowly grow with time?

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, but this is indeed strange.

-Paul.

(*) technicaly they do, but just the size of a proc struct = 400 bytes.