Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:50:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        babkin@users.sourceforge.net, babkin@verizon.net
Cc:        gbergling@0xfce3.net, phk@phk.freebsd.dk, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wscons for FreeBSD?

In message: <4362B611.B4A12AF8@verizon.net>
            Sergey Babkin <babkin@verizon.net> writes:
: John Baldwin wrote:
: >
: > On Friday 28 October 2005 01:24 pm, Sergey Babkin wrote:
: > > >From: John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
: > > >
:
: > > * When entering panic/debugger mode the console
: > >   should reset its video mode to the one where
: > >   the panic information is visible.
: >
: > I think this might be kind of hard since you really don't know what X has done
: > to the hardware unless you make X talk to the console driver to do
: > everything.
:
: Can you re-initialize the device from scratch? My knowledge
: about the video hardware dates to SVGA times and even that
: is not too deep.
:
: Maybe provide a basic SVGA re-initialization routine on x86 and have
: an interface for the third-party in-kernel drivers that
: would contain the re-initialization routine.

When this has come up in the past, those in the know say that it takes
card specific registers and knowledge to reset these cards' video
modes.

Warner