Date:      01 Jan 2003 20:44:45 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to see bootloader menu name correct?

John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, edifice wrote:
> > Subject: How to see bootloader menu name correct?
> >
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I install Win2000 and FreeBSD on my machine. When boot, it display:
> > F1: ??
> > F3: ??
> > F4: FreeBSD
> > How to make the F1 correctly display the name "Windows 2000"?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Edifice
> > --
> > edifice <warehou@sina.com>
> >

> I believe the FreeBSD bootloader gets it's Fn labels by reading the
> filesystem type of the partitions, and in your case you get ???s because
> it doesn't know anything about NTFS. You may be out of luck, unless you
> want to hack the FreeBSD bootloader and submmit it back to the project :)

There are about a half-dozen bytes free in the bootloader, which isn't
even enough to store "Windows 2000".  Anyone who submits that code
back will impress *me* a hell of a lot.

This is a FAQ.  "How do I change the boot prompt from ??? to something
more meaningful?":
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#CHANGING-BOOTPROMPT