Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:22:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        pirat sriyotha <pirat@access.inet.co.th>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation: files system

OK, i tried this once before, and if anyone on this list remembers, my
/var disappeared into oblivion because i symlink the wrong directory and
deleted the wrong one.  So now i am understandably nervous to do it again.
(I used that little incident as an excuse to reinstall from scratch, and
i'm glad i did).  I have 80 megs /, 128 megs swap, and the rest of the 2
gigs for the rest of the FS.  / is 80% full, so im'm thinking maybe i
should try symlinking again.

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, pirat sriyotha wrote:

>hi,
>
>i have just installed 3.3 release on an experimental machine.
>that machine has two ide hard disks.
>
>i install /, swap, and /usr file system on the first ide ( 2 gig. ) which is a
>boot drive.  for /usr/local file system, i install on the other ide ( 470
>megabytes).
>
>i observe that, /usr/local has been filled up quite quickly.
>but if i make a sym. link for /usr/local/share, on the second ide, to
>/usr/share/Share in the first ide, the system runs smoothly.
>
>my plain old question is that why /usr/local file system has been filled up so
>quick.  prior that, i used to install 3.1 on 470 megabytes ide and run without
>any problem of file system ( i select x-user for install ).
>
>thank in advance for any answer.
>
>with best regards,
>pirat sriyotha
>pirat@access.inet.co.th