Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:31:44 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Transmissions :) Was: Firewall config non-intuitiveness

> > > No true :).  While at a stop a clutch is a good idea, you can avoid
> > > ware on a number of parts if you learn to shift without clutch while
> > > moving.
> >
> > Actually, the wear you save on the clutch (which is designed for this)
> > will be translated to the gears in the transmission.  Very few (!!)
> > people are capable of shifting w/out a clutch and *NOT* doing damage to
> > the gears.
>
> I actually know a lot of people who are capable, but growing up in a
> family of farmers and mechanics, and spending most of my recreational
> time at the race track I may not be "normal".

I *personally* wouldn't have any qualms about doing it on farm machinery
or a motorcycle, but I'm leery of doing it on the new tranmissions used
in the high-performance sedans and sports cars.  I blew up on too many
clutches/transmissions on an older model car in high-school. :)

> > > On smaller four and five speed transmissions (or bikes)this is
> > > actually quite easy... on 3 ton grain trucks and tractors its a little
> > > more tricky.
> >
> > Actually, on grain trucks it's *easier*.  (Speaking with 15 years of
> > experience driving them. :) :) :)
> >
> > On the smaller cars, the synchro-mesh setup on the gears makes it *much*
> > harder to do it cleanly, while on big grain trucks and bikes, it's
> > easier since they don't add such things since they are mostly
> > un-necessary.  (And, not using a clutch is more common.)
>
> Now you bring synchro-mesh into the picture :).  I didn't mean that
> you couldn't do it in a truck, its just that you have to be careful.

None of our grain trucks had synchro-mesh on them, hence the reason it
was easy.  Synchro-mesh is rarely used in big vehicles, because:

1) If it's that big, it's *supposed* to be hard to shift.

2) Synchro-mesh introduces another point of failure.  When you've got
   that much weight the tranmissions is controlling, light-guage
   aluminum rings are *NOT* a good idea.

3) Due to large 'shifting' ranges on the big rigs and/or large number of
   gears, the need for synchro-mesh is lessened.  On 5/6 speeds, you
   need because the RPM differentail required to shift between gears is
   much greater, so synchro-mesh helps you to 'get it into gear' when
   the RPM's don't match up as well (even with a clutch).

However, that's probably alot more information than most people care to
hear.  Glad this is on -chat. :) :)

Nate