Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:02:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      White Hat <pigskin_referee@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Users Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Martin Werner <bsdml@werner.st>
Subject:   RE: Making startup order static

--- Martin Werner <bsdml@werner.st> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thought about using PROVIDE and REQUIRE keywords
> (see
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/clamav-clamd.sh resp.
> clamav-freshclam.sh
>
> Maybe you might want to have a look into "man rc" or
> "man rcorder"
>
> Cheers,
>   -Martin-
>
> > FreeBSD 6.1
> >
> > I need to keep several programs starting in a
> > particular order.
>
> > clamav-clamd
> > clamav-freshclam
> > clamsmtpd
> > saslauthd
> > dovecot
> > postfix
> > fetchmail
>
> > By default, they do not start in that order. I
have
> > modified the rc.d files to force them to start in
> > the
> > order specified above.
> <
> > The problem is that every time I update these
> > programs
> > the rc.d startup file is modified which destroys
the
> > changes I have made. This then requires me to
> > recreate
> > the modifications to force the start up order I
> > require.
> >
> > Is there anyway I can achieve this goal in a
> > simplified manner? I thought perhaps there might
be
> > something I could add to the /etc/rc.conf file;
> > however, I have not discovered it.

Martin, I don't think that you understood what I
meant. Either that or I described it incorrectly.

I did modify the rc.d files using BEFORE: and
REQUIRE:. That works just fine. The problem is if one
of those files is updated, the rc.d file is
overwritten resulting in the loss of my customization.
I therefore have to manually edit those files again. I
was trying to find someway to circumvent that
procedure.

--

White Hat
pigskin_referee@yahoo.com