Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:51:17 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Richard Morte" <richard@sparky.uk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP [ WAS: Problem Adding 2nd NIC]

"Richard Morte" writes:
> OK everyone,
>
> Resolved the problem with the NIC - just wasn't compatible, so I swapped it
> for a spare FA310 and all is well - I now have pn0 and pn1. The FA311 has
> now gone into a windows machine!
>
> Now I have a new problem: I've added the line:
>     ifconfig_pn1="DHCP"
> into rc.conf
>
> On reboot I get the message:
>     ifconfig: DHCP: Bad value
> and, of course, no IP address is set for the NIC.
>
> However if I run :
>     dhclient pn1
> from the command prompt, I am provided with an IP address by the remote host
> and I can ping the world. I'm running 3.2 - any idea what should be put in
> rc.conf to start DHCP client at each re-boot?

First I would try "ifconfig -l" to see if it lists your NICs.

Then I'd look into /etc/rc.network and discover when dhclient is run it
is started once only for all DHCP interfaces at the same time. Possibly
like this for you:

	dhclient pn0 pn1

I'd try that in my keyboard single-stepping to see where the problem is
happening. I wonder if its asking the DHCP server on pn0 for an address
to use on pn1, and is being refused. That is, if you use DHCP on both.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net