Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 16:47:36 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Brad Chisholm <sasblc@unx.sas.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RAID benchmarks (was: Adaptec AAC-364 RAID controller support)

On Friday,  7 January 2000 at 23:33:20 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 5:10 PM -0500 2000/1/7, Brad Chisholm wrote:
>
>>  The Adaptec card looks like it might provide a superior solution.  What's
>>  best way to proceed when trying to get documentation support from vendors?
>
> 	Look long and hard at software solutions with vinum before you
> wed yourself to a particular hardware RAID controller.  At the very
> least, I'd encourage you to extensively benchmark all the candidate
> solutions in your environment, before you make a choice.
>
> 	You can see my own benchmarks that I've done so far at
> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/FreeBSD/vinum.html>.

I hate to say this, but the results are meaningless for the sequential
case; the version of rawio you used started all parallel sequential
transfers at the same place, so the results showed primarily how much
cache each device had.  I've updated rawio and the port, and if you
(anybody) are really interested in sequential performance, you should
run the tests again.  My take on this is that sequential performance
is only interesting in a few unusual cases, such as streaming video,
and the performance isn't nearly as good as you think as soon as you
introduce more than one client process.

Greg