Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:40:44 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        Siddharth Prakash Singh <spsneo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Google SoC 2009 Idea

Siddharth Prakash Singh wrote:

> I am a student from India. I am willing to contribute to FreeBSD
> as a google soc participant this year. I would like to suggest an
> idea.
> Title: Multicore Aware Process Scheduler.
> I have not gone through the process scheduler code of Free BSD.
> Hence, I am not yet aware about the current support for Multicore
> Architectures.

Since you posted to a lot of different lists, I
think you probably don't already use FreeBSD.
(If you did, why would you post to NetBSD and
DragonflyBSD lists?)  Scheduler work is quite complex
and interacts heavily with the rest of the system;
it may not be a good choice for someone who doesn't
already have a lot of experience with FreeBSD.

You should probably tell us a little more about yourself:

What kind of student?  Graduate?  Undergraduate?
Are you in a CS program or some other engineering program?

Do you use FreeBSD?  How long have you used it?
What do you do with it?

Have you read Kirk McKusick's book on FreeBSD internals?

Have you built and installed a FreeBSD system from source code?

Have you taken classes on OS internals?

How much C programming have you done?

What areas of FreeBSD have you had the most problems with?
How would you make those areas better?

Tim Kientzle