Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 19:52:42 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        john@o-farrell.com (John O'Farrell)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, joe@pavilion.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FBSD on a second hard disk.

John O'Farrell stands accused of saying:
> Of course I tried using the bootstrap prompt, with the following result;

(You didn't say this; how could I possibly have known?)

> Error D:0X81 C:0 H:0 S:0
> Error D:0X81 C:0 H:0 S:0
> Error D:0X81 C:0 H:0 S:0
>
> scrolling endlessly off the screen

Ok.  In this case, I think I must have missed something in your
configuration.  You have an IDE disk with your Windows stuff on it;
do you have an IDE CDROM?  Have you tried other BIOS offsets with the
syntax

X:sd(0,a)kernel

where 'X' is some value 0, 1, 2, etc. ?  It sounds like your BIOS is
happy booting from the Jaz, there should be no reason why the
bootstrap should be unhappy.  What does the bootstrap print as its default?

> >> What would be really cool is if I could could have a scsi disk with
> >> freebsd on, which I could change the id on and still have freebsd find
> >> it's root partition.

You can.  I do this regularly.