Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 22:17:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.com (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   User ID storage in 2.2R

	could someone explain (or point me to some docs on) how user
	information is stored in 2.2R?

	Even if I put the appropriate lines in /etc/passwd *and*
	/etc/master.passwd, they don't seem to be effective. The only way that I
	have been able to make this work is by using adduser.

	I don't understand this. Why can't I just use good old /etc/passwd? What
	other magic place is this info stored?

	Thanks.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955