Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:43:17 -0800
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   web site navigation issues

I'm not sure how to write a PR for this, so here's the raw info:

I was looking at the "FreeBSD in the Press" page

   http://www.freebsd.org/news/press.html

and noticed that it did not mention some of my recent articles.  So,
I looked at the instructions for adding links:

   If you miss an entry please send the URL to www@FreeBSD.ORG.

I clicked on the link, expecting a mailto.  Nope it's another page:

   http://www.freebsd.org/mailto.html

Nothing here about submitting article links.  Well, maybe:

   Who Is Responsible for What
   Public Relations & Corporate Liaison, Security Officer,
   Postmaster, Webmaster etc.

So I clicked on this link, getting to

   http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/staff-who.html
   "Who Is Responsible for What"

Unfortunately, nowhere on that page was the webmaster address given.
So, I wandered my way back to the original page, realized that the
text of the link was actually the address I needed all along, and
composed this note.

It may be that I'm the only person who has ever gotten confused by
this setup, but the fact that I got pulled into such a runaround
may indicate that the navigation is not all that it should be.

While I'm on the subject, I'd like to suggest that the servers be
set up so that "freebsd.org" can be used as browser shorthand for
"www.freebsd.org"; currently, this just hangs...

-r

P.S.  Here are the article references:

   http://www.unixinsider.com/swol-11-2000/swol-1110-silicon.html
   "BSDCon 2000: A small, tasty conference"

   http://www.unixinsider.com/swol-12-2000/swol-1229-silicon.html
   "Documentation for eclectic systems"

   http://www.unixinsider.com/swol-01-2001/swol-0119-silicon.html
   "Building a browser for the FreeBSD file tree"

--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm - home page, resume, etc.
http://www.cfcl.com/Meta/md_fb.html - The FreeBSD Browser