Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:21:51 -0700
From:      Chris Tubutis <chris@tci.com>
To:        Leo Kliger <leo@astea.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail question

Leo Kliger wrote:

> any mail application with BCC (blind carbon copy)
> although I have not looked at the FBSD version the Netscape
> Mail Client on the MS platforms supports the function....
> so I'm pretty sure the it will on FBSD as well.....
> Leo

IMHO the Netscape mail client thing is some of the worst FPOS software I've
ever seen (at least the *nix variants).  The thing "forgets" that I've
moved messages to "folders" from the default Inbox.  Hitting the
'Get New Messages' button will seemingly randomly go and UNDO any sorting
I may have done.  (This includes taking messages oout of the "Trash folder"
and putting them back into the Inbox.)  I *think* I've found a workaround
to this "feature;" basically, don't ever hit "stop" while either downloading
messages or downloading mongo attachments to messages.  (Side note: hitting
"stop" while downloading huge quantities of new messages (>2k of 'em - don't
ask) has caused the thing to *always from then on* report that "I have 2,000
new messages," despite the fact that I had already gone and deleted 'em using
another computer (with a faster network connection).)

It will periodically hang, claiming "Waiting for connection to INBOX".  Going
to the mail server machine (running the (I think) UWashington IMAP/POP
thing) I'll find sometimes dozens of lock files on my mail.  Fine.  Close
Netscape, wipe all the lock files, re-start Netscape, reconnect to the
mail server, and the FPOS thing goes and undeletes and unsorts all the
messages since I last  "Compacted Folders" and "Cleaned Up Disk."  "Empty
Trash on <mailserver>" is a misnomer; it ain't really doing shit.

If you try and use *any* mail-related feature - including clicking on mailto
links while in the web browser - without having first opened up the mail
client at least once, Netscape abruptly exits (and sometimes core dumps) with
a "Bus Error."  (This is a known bug according to the "Communicator for Unix"
News group on secnews.netscape.com.)

In sum, it would be a fairly useful tool if it worked, but the number of bugs
in the thing (v4.x) have led me to give up on the thing.  I'd like to try
out Tkrat but IIRC it doesn't handle html-ized mail (which I get a fair
amount of).

ct