Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:25:04 -0700
From:      "David Christensen" <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 6.1-RELEASE-i386 man broken?

freebsd-questions:

Nick Withers wrote:
> Unfortunately (or at least as I understand it), the contents of
> "/etc/manpath.config" don't matter if you have the "MANPATH"
> environment variable set. Did you happen to set this yourself
> (i.e., explicitly)?

Yes:

    2006-07-13 13:09:50 dpchrist@k62350 ~
    $ grep MANPATH .*
    .bash_history:echo $MANPATH
    .bash_profile:    MANPATH=$MANPATH:$HOME/cvs/man
    .bash_profile:    MANPATH=$MANPATH:$HOME/man
    .bash_profile:    MANPATH=$MANPATH:$HOME/share/man
    .bash_profile:export MANPATH=:$HOME/local/man

    2006-07-13 13:09:58 dpchrist@k62350 ~
    $ echo $MANPATH
    :/home/dpchrist/local/man

I use the same .bash_profile and .bashrc everywhere, with conditionals
for various platforms and configurations.  Tightening up the
conditionals, logging out, and logging in again:

    2006-07-13 13:12:55 dpchrist@k62350 ~
    $ echo $MANPATH

    2006-07-13 13:12:56 dpchrist@k62350 ~
    $ manpath
    /usr/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/share/openssl/man:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/man:/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/perl/man

    2006-07-13 13:12:59 dpchrist@k62350 ~
    $ man man

Fixed!

Micah wrote:
> That's where http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi comes in handy

Yes, that's useful.

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Please read what I wrote more carefully.  To summarize: don't set
> $MANPATH in your environment, and the man(1) command will work
> correctly.

Now I understand:

> The environment variable MANPATH should in general not be set, as
> that will override the effects of /etc/manpath.config.

Thanks everyone for your help.  :-)

David