Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 07:54:29 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Vitor de Matos Carvalho <vitor@softinfo.com.br>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Time Zone

On 2002-Oct-13 07:36:05 -0300, Vitor de Matos Carvalho <vitor@softinfo.com.br> wrote:
>I noticed that to the 0:00 of day 13 of October FreeBSD it changed the zone
>of my clock for the summer schedule. It moved of BRT for BRST.
>However the schedule of summer in the Brazil still did not start here.

Daylight savings transitions are controlled by /etc/localtime which
is either a copy of, or a link to, one of the files in /usr/share/zoneinfo
This is a binary file containing a converted form of data from (in your
case) /usr/src/share/zoneinfo/southamerica.  The latter file includes
the following:

# Decree <a href="http://pcdsh01.on.br/DEC3592.htm">3,592</a>; (2000-09-06)
# adopted by the same states as before.
# Decree <a href="http://pcdsh01.on.br/Dec3630.jpg">3,630</a>; (2000-10-13)
# repeals DST in PE and RR, effective 2000-10-15 00:00.
# Decree <a href="http://pcdsh01.on.br/Dec3632.jpg">3,632</a>; (2000-10-17)
# repeals DST in SE, AL, PB, RN, CE, PI and MA, effective 2000-10-22 00:00.
# Decree <a href="http://pcdsh01.on.br/figuras/HV3916.gif">3,916</a>;
# (2001-09-13) reestablishes DST in AL, CE, MA, PB, PE, PI, RN, SE.
#
# The latest decree listed above says that the following states observe DST:
# AL, BA, CE, DF, ES, GO, MA, MG, MS, MT,
# PB, PE, PI, PR, RJ, RN, RS, SC, SE, SP, TO.
#
# For dates after mid-2002, the following rules are guesses
# and are quite possibly wrong, but are more likely than no DST at all.
Rule    Brazil  2000    max     -       Oct     Sun>=8   0:00   1:00    S
Rule    Brazil  2001    max     -       Feb     Sun>=15  0:00   0       -

Which indicates that DST starts on the first Sunday on or after 8th October.
See tzfile(5), zdump(8) and zic(8) for complete details.

The top of the file states:
# This data is by no means authoritative; if you think you know better,
# go ahead and edit the file (and please send any changes to
# tz@elsie.nci.nih.gov for general use in the future).
(and you should raise a FreeBSD PR containing the same information).

Peter