Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:51:33 +0200
From:      "Heiko Wundram (Beenic)" <wundram@beenic.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Live video streaming on FreeBSD?

Am Donnerstag, 25. Oktober 2007 08:42:31 schrieb Andreas Wider=F8e Andersen:
> Does any of these streaming solutions (encoders or servers) require me to
> run a GUI on my FreeBSD boxes or can I simply run them like I always do:
> command line only?

Apple's Darwin runs perfectly just with command-line (and has a Web-GUI, bu=
t=20
that's not necessary for standard operation and configuration), but isn't=20
compilable on AMD64 (because the programmers didn't think highly of=20
portability when implementing it, i.e. assuming that a unsigned long is=20
always 32-bit, and such), and I haven't tested whether it compiles on FreeB=
SD=20
at all (all of our deployment boxes of Darwin are Linux-systems). Other tha=
n=20
that, it's a pretty stable and mature streaming solution if you're willing =
to=20
stream MP4 over RTSP (which on Windows requires QuickTime; MediaPlayer can'=
t=20
handle this out of the box).

If you need a precompiled binary Linux-package for i386 (which should run=20
without much hassle concerning required dependencies), send me a mail.

=2D-=20
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development