Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 19:39:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIOS information preservation (was Re: >64MB)

> Anyone likely to complain if I add a new datastructure to i386/bios.c and
> start populating it with stuff that various parts of the system glean
> about the BIOS environment?  Or should I be using a procedural lookup
> interface for this?

My preference would be for a generic mechanism for use in thunking any
BIOS call to a VM86() for processing in that environment.  There is a
good "MindShare" book on Protected Mode System Architecture, actually...

In any case, a mechanism similar to the SCO "vm86()" system call
would be good (plus it would help with IBCS2 emulation).

> * Terry, I believe you mentioned that some Microsoft Developer package
>   contained sources for the Word Viewer, or something similar.  Would
>   there be any chance of crossing this with a Win32-on-unix environment
>   like that from Willows or Bristol to get a FreeBSD Word Viewer?  I'm
>   sick beyond belief of having to find a copy of Word and 2-300 sheets
>   of paper just to read these banal "standard" documents.

The VC++ code contains full source code for the "WordPad" program.

Unfortunately, you need a Win32 (as you suggest) because there is a DLL
involved in reading the Word Format documents.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.