Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 00:33:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Barbisan <barbisan@interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FIPS

Hi,

I received FreeBSD 2.2.7 a few days ago from Walnut Creek and decided
today would be a good day to start at it. I am using a Pentium-75 with
16mb RAM and a Seagate 2.1GB hard drive. I currently run Windows95 with
FAT32 installed on the Seagate. I know that the version of FIPS does not
work with FAT32 so I went off onto the FreeBSD ftp site and downloaded the
newest version. It is FIPS 1.5C and as you probably know, it does support
FAT32.

I followed all the instructions, I made a boot disk, put the fips files
onto it, ran Scandisk and Defrag (the Win95 versions), I shoved in the
floppy, ran the proper Shutdown sequence in Win95 and reset. FIPS
recognized it was FAT32 and all the information provided seemed to fit
everything described in FIPS.DOC. However, when it comes to the part when
I select the size of the paritition it will only gives me upto 15.8MB
(1014-1021 cylinders) to create it with (even though I have about 980MB
free on the disk).

So I decided to disable the Virtual memory, I ran DEFRAG again. It still
would only give me a max of 15.8MB. So I rebooted (put back the Virtual
memory and such) and ran DEFRAG just to see what the drive looks like. It
seems that there is some "Data that will not be moved" (As the Microsoft
Defrag legend puts it) near the end of the drive (I assume probably at the
1013 cylinder).

Is there any way to get around this with FIPS, or any other program
(Partition Magic)? Are there any programs that can identify certain those
sectors so I can delete them? I would like to avoid reformatting the drive,
but I will if I have to.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Barbisan,
barbisan@interlog.com