Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 07:40:54 -0800
From:      Justin Wolf <jjwolf@bleeding.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   'Locale not supported' when not a superuser in X

  If I set an X-server up on my Win95 machine (MI/X) and then attempt to open xterm to it, I get the following error:

X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
  Atom id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  24

  xedit returns a similar result:

Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
X Error:  BadAtom
  Request Major code 18 ()
  AtomID 0x0
  Error Serial #49
  Current Serial #56

  Now, if I run these programs while a superuser, there's no problems reported and the apps start just fine.  I've checked things like file permissions, etc., but everything seems to look fine.  Any suggestions?  BTW, xload, xeyes, xclock, xdu all work fine...

-Justin Wolf (jjwolf@bleeding.com)