Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:24:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      H.Paul Hammann <hpaul@hammann.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mounting an ISO image as a bootable cd in VMware

    Under FreeBSD you can use the following commands to mount an ISO
image:

'vnconfig /dev/vn0c ./binary-i386-1.iso'
'mount -t cd9660 /dev/vn0c /mnt'

    I thought I'd be clever, not mount the image and define /dev/vn0c
in my vmware config as the cdrom device.  No dice.  I get the
following error when I turn on the virtual machine:

CDROM: '/dev/vn0c' exists, but does not appear to be a CDROM device.

    Mounting an ISO image as a bootable cdrom is possible under Linux
by using the following command:

'losetup /dev/loop0 ./binary-i386-1.iso'

    Then by setting up /dev/loop0 as the cdrom device you can boot the
virtual machine from the ISO image.

    I would like to be able to do this under FreeBSD.  Does anyone
have pointers how to do this?

Paul