Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 1998 19:12:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Okay, -current should be conditionally safe to use

Mikael Karpberg said:

> Would tuning the NFS exported disk SoftUpdates do a significant difference?

Yes.

> For the moment I don't think we're ready to use the SoftUpdates code, since
> we're using the machine for more then just play, but it might be an
> interesting thing to try once it's more robust.

It probably isn't a good idea to use softupdates in production yet.  However,
another interesting thing to try is:

sysctl -w vfs.nfs.async=1

on the server.  This is better (safer) than softupdates, but you *can*
have data lossage, due to writes not being committed to disk.  It is
a good idea to have a UPS when using the above option.