Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 13:00:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/47235: top reports inaccurate cpu usage

The following reply was made to PR bin/47235; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, killing@multiplay.co.uk
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 20:59:03 +0000

    I'm not sure this is a bug.  If a process starts and stops during the
 interval between top's updates, its cpu usage will be reflected in the "CPU
 states" header, but top won't list the process (because it isn't running
 any longer).  This shows up most often while rebuilding the world or kernel
 due to the large number of very short-lived processes which are spawned.
    This could be fixed, I suppose, by reading the accounting files, but I
 don't think it's worth the added complexity.

 Colin Percival