Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:46:45 -0800
From:      George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux ext2 fs support changes in -stable

>>Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>>> Somewhat all-of-a-sudden, I am unable to r/w mount a Linux ext2
>>> filesystem on the same hdd with my BSD.  I get in my syslog (&
>>> on console):
>>> /kernel:  WARNING: R/W mount of dev 0xe040a denied due to
>>>     unsupported optional features
>>
>>This is telling you that this file system has features (put in
>>the by a recent version of Linux, most likely) which our ext2fs
>>code does not understand. Since we don't understand it, allowing
>>a R/W mount is dangerous.
>
>Makes sense...  Interesting that this does not happen on my other
>hdd; I bet I made those filesystems under a previous Linux version...
>
>>You can read more about this using the cvsweb to check the commit

Hi All,

I'm entirely new to BSD but I do have a few years of Linux experience.  I'm
glad to see interest in accessing ext2! But I'll admit this list is a bit
more than I can follow, usually.

I would like to throw in, ext3 should be Linux standard this summer or fall
with the release of stable 2.4.0 Linux kernel. The big highlight (besides
being very different) being a journaling feature, allowing quick recovery
from events like power failure.

In the mean time, I'll be tuning my BSD skills, but since I'm a newbie,
could someone recommend a lower volume and less technical list? I know
nothing of BSD's filesystem, or similar hurtles, please respond directly if
appropriate.

TIA,

// George