Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 22:43:28 -0300
From:      "Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira" <lioux@uol.com.br>
To:        Akinori MUSHA <knu@iDaemons.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org, Patrick Li <pat@databits.net>, fenner@FreeBSD.org, kris@FreeBSD.org, green@FreeBSD.org, julian@FreeBSD.org, petef@FreeBSD.org, cwasser@v-wave.com, sjh-cl@horan.net.au, john_m_cooper@yahoo.com, matt@ipperformance.com
Subject:   Re: review plz MASTER_SITES_n (ala OpenBSD) patch for bsd.port.mk

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 06:35:22PM +0900, Akinori MUSHA wrote:
> Wow, go Mario, go! :)

	Vrum, vrum, vrum.... Vrummmmm! :-D

> At Sun, 23 Sep 2001 05:52:24 -0300,
> Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> > 	d1) Should we use {MASTER,PATCH}_SITES_n or
> > 	    {MASTER,PATCH}_SITESn as does OpenBSD (green we should
> > 	    use _n cleaner syntax) ?
>
> I definitely prefer `_suffix' to `suffix'.

	Agreed. The default on the patch.

[snip]

> > 	d3) Should {master,patch}-sites do what is cited in (b) ?
> > 	    Or, should they only list the contents of {MASTER,PATCH}_SITES
> > 	    and leave the full listing for {master,patch}-sites-all ?
> > 	    I prefer the later, since it is uniform. I do not
> > 	    know how (if any) much impact will have this behavior
> > 	    change
>
> No doubt the latter. :)

	I like it too, but I think this requires a bit more
discussing.  Don't know if any important project scripts rely on
this behavior.  Probably "fixing" them will set us free to do this.
:woot)

> > 	d4) Should make -V {DIST,PATCH}FILES hide the postfix :n ? I'd
> > 	    rather not, since this is an interesting information
> > 	    which cannot be accessed any other way by external
> > 	    means (unless we place it in another well-known variable)
>
> Is that possible?  Many ports define DISTFILES themselves and I think

	Yeah. Blessed be the magical :=, just check the little
SUBDIR routine for MASTER_SITES inside bsd.port.mk

> `make -V DISTFILES' would certainly show the values as-is...  Even if
> you can, you should not fake the values.
>
> For that purpose you could have new variables _{DIST,PATCH}FILES or
> something which hold the values with :n suffixes trimmed.

	This is exactly what was done. {DIST,PATCH}FILES hold the
untouched values and _{DIST,PATCH}FILES hold processed one without
postfixed codes.

[snip]

> > 	i1) As n can be [0-9a-zA-Z_]+ , what if the variables inside
> > 	    bsd.sites.mk were of the form MASTER_SITES_.* instead
> > 	    of MASTER_SITE_.*? For example, we could use
> > 	    MASTER_SITES_SOURCEFORGE by simply having n be SOURCEFORGE
> > 	    for example, very interesting. Or, I could add code to
> > 	    check for {MASTER,PATCH}_SITE_n as well. Just a thought.
>
> In order not to break the backward compatibility, I suggest the
> following:
>
> 	- User define MASTER_SITE_FOO, just as before, in
> 	  /etc/make.conf. (or ports.conf in future)
>
> 	- MASTER_SITES_FOO include MASTER_SITE_FOO in bsd.sites.mk.
>
> 	  before:
> 		MASTER_SITE_FOO+=	\
>
> 	  after:
> 		MASTER_SITES_FOO= ${MASTER_SITE_FOO} \

	Interesting, anyone will like to comment on this? However,
this will have to wait the discussion on the existence or not of
MASTER_SITES_n brought up by sobomax, he's got a very strong point.
Let's see how this one goes.

> > 	i2) This one is tempting, what if we could have several
> > 	    groups postfixed to a single {dist,patch}file? For
> > 	    instance, :m,n,o meaning it uses {MASTER,PATCH}_SITE_m,
> > 	    {MASTER,PATCH}_SITE_n and {MASTER,PATCH}_SITE_o. A very
> > 	    tempting thought.
>
> I don't think you want to implement that in the first stage. :)

	I understand, but depending on how the MASTER_SITES_n
issue goes, this might be the only way to replicate some of the
functionality. It will be better understood on the next email on
this thread. Stay tuned. ;')
	Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.

--
Mario S F Ferreira - UnB - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
lioux at ( freebsd dot org | linf dot unb dot br )