Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 00:09:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Static NAT using natd

On 4 Jul 2001, Andrew Reid wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> >From the documentation that I've read, it's possible to do static NAT
> using natd. However, I have a /26 subnet that I need to run static NAT
> on.

	Yes, you can do it.  You need to look at the 'redirect_address".

> Ie, I want connections from my (internal) mail server to be run out
> through 1.2.3.1, and connections from my (internal) web server to be
> run out through 1.2.3.2.
>
> I know this is quite trivial using IPF (well, IPNAT), but it seems to be
> quite difficult to do (with natd) when there are 60-odd addresses, each
> with their own pathways.

	I don't know what you mean by "own pathways" but
	currently, if you want all inside addresses to each have their own
	unique public address you will need to add a redirect_address
	statement for EACH address...(62 host IPs) :-(

	As a side thought...
	It would be nice to have a 'pool' statement option were
	you could give this type of information like 1.2.3.0/26.  I
	suppose you could do this by changing natd a bit and keep some
	sort of state table structure keeping track of private->public
	IP mappings...or maybe changing libalias to do it for you since it
	already kinda does this.  I feel a project coming about ;-)

> Have I missed something that can allow me to use natd to do what I've
> outlined above? If so, can anyone suggest any documentation that could
> help in this circumstance?

	man natd look at redirect_address.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...