Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:49:26 +0200
From:      Michael Wichmann <michaelwichmann@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        nkinkade@ub.edu.bz
Subject:   Re: Num lock status on boot

--nextPart6230946.qYyL9EYXZo

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 17:00, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 03:05:22PM +0200, Michael Wichmann wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Just a quick question about this little thing, that bugs me from
> > time to time:)  Num-lock ist turned off by default after I boot up
> > FreeBSD 5.2.1. Is there any way to enable it by default?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Micha
>
> There is often a BIOS setting that may affect this, but this is
> assuming that you are speaking about booting to a console.  If you

True... I wasn't aware that this is an X 'issue'. But it turns out num=20
lock is on when I boot, and goes off when I start into X.

> are booting into X then, from past experience, it is a bit more
> tricky.  I haven't looked at it in a while and things may have
> changed, but as of a year or so ago there were various hacks and
> tools to get the Numlock activated when booting into X.  KDE's FAQ
> used to have a section on this, in which they stated that it wasn't
> really a KDE issue at all, but gave some tips on it simply because

Yep. By now (I'm running 3.3), there is an option in the KDE control=20
center to activate num lock on startup... just found out about that:)=20
The numlockx package (... btw thanks Kevin) seems to be the best=20
solution for now, since it's not KDE specific.
However, it releaves just some of the pain. X resets the num lock on=20
exit. Any ideas on that?

> the Numlock when booting into X.  A few web searches should pull up a
> lot of information.

Point taken... I didn't find anything on the num lock exit issue=20
though:)

Greetings,
Micha

=2D-=20