Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 13:47:04 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Patrick <patrick@freegates.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need help for IPFW advanced use

[Please wrap your lines at around 72 characters or so.]

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 09:03:21PM +0200, Patrick wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With this new version (4.0) of freebsd, you introduce the availability to limit the bandwidth use by using ipfw command .

dummynet(4) has been around since 2.2.8.

> I make a new installation, with 2 network cards, enable the gateway and testing it over two differents networks: it's run.
>
> I enable IP Firewall as "OPEN" mode, it's ok
>
> But when I try the command
>
> IPFW PIPE SHOW, I get an error:
>
> IPFW: getsockopt (ip_dummy_get): protocol not available

Did you make a new kernel with,

  options    DUMMYNET

> When I try to add a rule as:
>
> IPFW ADD PIPE 1 IP FROM ANY TO ANY OUT (as man pages), i get an error:
>
> IP_FW_CTL: Invalid command
> IPFW: getsockopt(ip_fw_add): protocol not available

Did you make a kernel with,

  options    IPFIREWALL_FORWARD

> I not see a "valable" reason to have problems with ipfw but ...

I don't want to seem harsh, I would guess you are not a native English
speaker, but "valable" is not a word. What are you trying to say?

> If you have a idea or if kernel need to be recompiled with specific values or modules, please let's me know and the procedure to make it !

Your kernel does need to be recompiled. Have a look at the LINT
kernel. Also see the following manpages,

  ipfw(8)
  ipfw(4)
  dummynet(4)