Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 07:52:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Paul Halliday <dp@penix.org>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cannot get more than 32 PTYs in 4.4-RELEASE

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Patrick Thomas wrote:

> In my kernel, I have:
>
> 	maxusers	128
>
> 	pseudo-device	pty	128

Not sure if the above steps are actually required. Actually, neither
matter.  I duplicated your steps anyway, and was greeted with the same
messages.

However,

> In my /dev directory, I have used `sh MAKEDEV` to make all 256 /dev/pty
> files.  They are all there, and all have correct major/minor numbers.  I
> know I won't be using all 256 of them, but I just made them all anyway.

I believe the above steps are wrong, looking at /dev/MAKEDEV:

pty*)
        class=`expr $i : 'pty\(.*\)'`
        case $class in
        0) offset=0 name=p;;
        1) offset=32 name=q;;
        2) offset=64 name=r;;
        3) offset=96 name=s;;

interestingly enough the command "./MAKEDEV pty3" will create (as
indicated) heh.. I was assuming too much, something is screwy here.

*confused*

it actually only created 64 terminals. Added the line:

4) offset=192 name=t;;

~# ./MAKEDEV pty4 && kill -HUP 1

interesting, now I have 96, but can only use 64. Reboot..

Anyone care to take over?

> In /etc/ptys, I didn't change anything, because all 256 pty entries are
> ALREADY in there:
>
> # Pseudo Terminals
> ttyp0	none		network
> ttyp1	none		network
> ttySu	none		network
> ttySv	none		network
>
> So those are all there.
>
> I have used `sysctl -a | grep maxuser` to verify that maxusers is indeed
> 128.
>
> BUT - if I log on via ssh and start screen, and start 31 new screen
> windows, then nobody else can log on to the system - I cannot create any
> more screen windows AND nobody else can ssh in - the machine has run out
> of ptys.
>
> I use `fstat` to inquire, and I am maxed out at exactly 32 ptys.
>
> SO THE question is, why am I stuck at 32 ptys ?  I have done it all -
> everything that is in any doc or news post, and everything I was told to
> do here and on -hackers, and yet I am still stuck at 32 !!!
>
> Please tell me the secret lore for getting more than 32 ptys in
> 4.4-RELEASE.
>

> thanks,
>
> PT

Paul H.