Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:55:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        jfesler@gigo.com
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Jesse <j@lumiere.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH for Apache: Add FreeBSD Server Layout

> > Then too there's the matter of compatibility with other Unix operating
> > systems.  Why reinvent the wheel when Solaris has been doing this right
> > for half a decade already?
>
> Gentlemen, this is a religious issue.

I would have to disagree.  A number of good points have been raised on
both sides which would seem to preclude the religious label.

> heir() is the bsd way, /opt is the Solaris way.

Actually /opt, while it is a directory used by Solaris packages is not the
Solaris way.  Most of the packages at www.sunfreeware.com for example,
install under /usr/local.

> Can I at least get you guys
> to agree to disagree, and see each other's points?

At some point sure.  Until then I'd like to hear all of Bill's points and
make all of mine.  When there's nothing new on the table then we can agree
to disagree.  Until then can you agree to let us continue?

Assuming this has been discussed in previous threads or other FreeBSD
lists does anyone have a URL for further investigation?

Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting
http://www.roble.com/