Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:39:48 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        Secure Play <secureplay@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8 on Proliant 8500

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:53:41PM -0700, Secure Play wrote:
> Has anyone seen any issues runing FreeBSD 4.8 on a Compaq Proliant 8500? This is an older 8-way server (2GB ram, 8x500 Mhz CPUs). I don't really need all those CPUs, but I have nothing else to do with them. :)
>
> Everything works fine, except that when I add a Intel Pro/1000 card, it is not seen.  I also tried an equivalent compaq gigabit card with the same results (I believe they share the same chipset). I don't know what else to do to it, the bios sees them, I have the latest updates from Compaq/HP, and I eventually recompiled the kernel with the latest drivers from the intel website. Everything else seems to work fine, although admittedly this is the only "up" card that I have in this box.  I also tried various slots (the box has three busses) and no luck.

This may be a pci hardware version problem.  I have a pro/1000-desktop
card which is only seen in a 64-bit slot on an Asus A7M266-D motherboard,
although it's a 32-bit card.  My guess was that the card requires a newer
pci version than the motherboard was supplying on the 32-bit slots.
Another possibility is interrupt sharing.  Try moving the card to all
other slots before giving up.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.