Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:03:49 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: okay, I WILL get out and help push

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 10:44:51AM -0600, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

>>> 2) I'm open to suggestions for a cheap Plug'n'Pray PCI Ethernet
>>> card that I can pick up locally (CompUSA/Computer City).  (PNP is
>>> now supported in stable, yes?)
>>
>> Anything from 3COM or SMC should do the trick.
>
> I've had moderate sucess with my 3Com 3C905.  It's not a great card,
> but it works decently, at least at 10 Mbit.

I'm going to disagree here.  It is not a great _driver_, but as far as
I've been able to tell, it actually is a great card.  The 590/595 are
OK cards, the 900/905 are great cards.  They do full scather/gather
DMA (and IIRC checksumming), leaving them open for a zero-copy
implementation.  The problem is that the driver only use them in
'compatibility mode', which doesn't exploit _anything_ - driving it at
about the efficiency-level of an NE2000.

If you're not willing to re-write the driver (and I don't think
anybody else is going to), I think I'd rather go with a cheaper card -
they're rather pricey (about the same as an Intel EtherExpress 10/100)
compared to the low performance with the persent setup.

Eivind.