Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 1996 06:58:04 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        bde@godzilla.zeta.org.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, mdz@netrail.net
Subject:   Re: Serial console?

>>         /* initialize required fields */
>>         cp->cn_dev = makedev(CDEV_MAJOR, unit);
>> #ifdef COMCONSOLE
>>         cp->cn_pri = CN_REMOTE;         /* Force a serial port console */
>> #else
>>         cp->cn_pri = (boothowto & RB_SERIAL) ? CN_REMOTE : CN_NORMAL;
>> #endif
>> }
>>
>> ... now, I'm a little out of date here at home, but I was sure this still
>> did it.  Has it been recently diked?

It still works.

>Well, it should go away, i think.  To the least, it might be renamed
>into ``FORCE_COMCONSOLE'', to make the purpose obvious.

COMCONSOLE's purpose was obvious: it makes "the" com line be the
console.  It's less obvious what happens when there are multiple com
lines handled by multiple drivers (the others don't work; most serial
drivers don't even support serial consoles) and how it interacts with
the FORCE_COMCONSOLE, "notyet" and PROBE_KEYBOARD options in the
bootstrap, and the RB_SERIAL boot flag.  So many options, and they don't
even let you specify the serial device or speed :-(.   It's usually best
to use the boot flag (boot with -h) and not worry about all the options.

Bruce