Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 1998 19:58:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Okay, -current should be conditionally safe to use

Mikael Karpberg said:

> We certainly don't have a UPS.
> What exactly does turning on that sysctl mean? That we can get an
> inconsistant state on the disk, like with mount option async, or that
> writes are ACKed (or whatever you call it) directly, and then queued for
> a normal write to the disk according to the disks mount options?

It is just like a normal write, violating NFS sematics, but will work
just like a regular file write according to filesystem methods.

> And how is it better then SoftUpdates? Because it's not using beta-release
> code, or are SoftUpdates a looser here for some other reason?

It isn't ready for production yet.  SoftUpdates is better -async, but still
not as data-secure as normal mounts.  I suggest waiting until late March or
early April.  The code is probably late Alpha or near-Beta quality, with
some known problems.