Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:00:40 -0700
From:      "Skip Hansen" <shansen@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: picobsd micro nat box

> > Lets see...
> >
> > 1. Take one Lantronix,  Emulex,  Summix, Zimax, etc., print spooler
> > box.  These have 1 ethernet 10/100 mbps, 2 parallel port, 1 serial
> > port interface.  OK OK, these use a wall plug power supply.
> > But the box I am looking at right now is 8inches wide, 1 inch high (thick),
> > and 5 inches deep.
> > I will not claim that the code changes are 'trivial' but if you are
> > familiar with IPFilter then it takes about a day.
> >
> > The configuration and user interface is a bit more work.
> >
> > Ummm... the whole slamboodle,  with IPNAt, and Print spooling,
> > etc. etc. is about 982K,  (compressed),  uses about 8 Mbytes
> > RAM.  You can save the configuration in CMOS (Dallas makes some
> > VERY interesting RTC,  RAM chips just for this purpose).
>
> Great.  So tell me where I can buy one or more, and how to build and
> blast new firmware into it.  8)

I wonder if there are any cheap printer servers that run an x86 that could be
reverse engineered or something.  My PicoBSD NAT box cost nothing since it was
an old 486 that I already had, but it still takes up a lot of space, has noisy
fans and generates a lot more heat than I remembered (even without the hard
disk).

$600 strikes me as pretty expensive, I've seen several simular boxes in the
$200 - $400 range.  For example Zyxel has a Nat box is $249.
(http://www.zyxel.com/html/product/soho_html/p310.html)

Skip