Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:01:23 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stupid question about stable and current  :-)

* Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> [000224 07:12] wrote:
> As i peruse the list of issues in -current, i can't help but wonder
> how BSD will still run older apps when it seems the system is being
> gutted.  I see so many things being changed and tweaked and rewritten.
> Is the work being done now to make -current work with all the ports
> and basic system programs?  Is this the period where all the breakages
> are being fixed?  Or is this the period where the bridges to the past
> are burned in the name of progress, and now all ports must be from the
> -current collect rather than 3.x-stable?  DOes this question make any
> sense?
>
> Here's another way to put it: with all the breakages being fixed for
> ports and other progs, do these usually have unwanted side effects?

We are very careful to maintain binary compatibility, consider Xig
who still makes an aout version of thier X server it works, certain
other things such as kernel internal APIs and locations of executables
and config files will change, but that only happens in the HEAD
branch (-current).

Basically, if you can't run a 2.2.x program that doesn't rely on
kernel internals and file locations we'd like to know. :)

-Alfred