Date:      Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:00:30 GMT
From:      Dmytro Pryanyshnikov <lynx.ripe@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/158979: [snd_uadio] snd_uaudio fails to initialize built-in microphone in Logitech Webcam C160

The following reply was made to PR kern/158979; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dmytro Pryanyshnikov <lynx.ripe@gmail.com>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, lynx.ripe@gmail.com,
	Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Subject: Re: kern/158979: [snd_uadio] snd_uaudio fails to initialize built-in
 microphone in Logitech Webcam C160
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:31:25 +0300

 Hello!

 >From:	Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
 >Date:	Sun, 17 Jul 2011 09:45:41 +0200
 >Hi,

 >Can you try and see if any of the quirks mentioned at the following link
 >helps:
 > http://wiki.freebsd.org/WebcamCompat

   Well, it helps only partially. Indeed, after

 1) plugging in my Logitech Webcam C160;
 2) running 'pwcview' and exiting from it;
 3) issuing 'usbconfig -d ugen4.2 do_request 0x22 0x01 0x100 0x86 0x03
 0x80 0xBB 0x00'

 timeout problem has gone, BUT the sensitivity of the microphone
 becomes very low (I could only hear knocks on the camera hull, but
 almost can't hear my own voice in the recorded samples). And
 /dev/mixer3, which corresponds to the webcam microphone, doesn't
 affect it's sensitivity at all:

 dmitry@lynx$ mixer -f /dev/mixer3
 Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
 Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75

 dmitry@lynx$ mixer -f /dev/mixer3 vol 100 pcm 100
 Setting the mixer vol from 75:75 to 100:100.
 Setting the mixer pcm from 75:75 to 100:100.

 (doesn't change mic sensitivity)

 dmitry@lynx$ mixer -f /dev/mixer3 vol 0 pcm 0
 Setting the mixer vol from 100:100 to 0:0.
 Setting the mixer pcm from 100:100 to 0:0.

 (doesn't change mic sensitivity)

   OTOH after using my workaround involving attaching device to the
 Linux kernel, microphone sensitivity is normal (I hear all surrounding
 sounds in the room).

 --
 Sincerely, Dmytro