Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 16:59:46 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Small MAKEDEV bug

-On [20000506 21:55], Bruce Evans (bde@zeta.org.au) wrote:
>On Sat, 6 May 2000, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>
>> I've just noticed that "sh MAKEDEV acd1" doesn't produce node for acd1 due to
>> incorrect comparasion in the "while" loop. This affecting both 4.0-STABLE and
>> 5.0-CURRENT. With this message I'm attaching short patch which should solve
>> this little problem.
>
>This is the intended behaviour.  "sh MAKEDEV acdN" is supposed to create
>N acd devices, numbered from 0 to N-1.  This broken behaviour was introduced
>for cd*, mcd* and scd* in rev.1.171.  It has since spread to acd*.  Other
>types of disks are handled correctly.

Bah, bah, bah.  I am really starting to wonder about this sunburn thing.

Can we settle this once and for all in a slightly sane manner?

I committed the change so that MAKEDEV acd1 creates acd1 and not just
acd0.

I personally think this is more consistent with the wd/sa/da/ad
numbering scheme and would propose to fix the other cd* entries
likewise.  Because otherwise somebody other than me will make the same
(commit) mistake x days/weeks/months/years into the future.

Opinions?

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>            VIA Net.Works The Netherlands