Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 17:11:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <jps@funeralexchange.com>
To:        <cliftonr@lava.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ruspeni@mti.itb.ac.id>, <laurence@fluxinc.com>
Subject:   Re: (Correction) Re: hiding OS name

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet but i came across this in
;login from May 2002
Xprobe is a tool automating the X logic.

X is a logic developed from the various Active Operating System
Fingerprinting methods discovered during the "ICMP Usage In
Scanning" research project.

WWW: http://www.sys-security.com/html/projects/X.html

It fingerprints your OS by ICMP datagrams instead of TCP and only needs
upto four packets to do its job. Anyone know how to hide yourself from
this besides blocking all ICMP traffic?
Also off topic can anyone suggest a good way to do remote logging via a
ssh tunnel? I have looked at syslog-ng but i would like to use the base
tools that come with freebsd (i.e openssh and syslogd)
Thanks

Jeremy Suo-Anttila
jps@funeralexchange.com