Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 08:13:54 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   fairly tricky dual "default" gateway routing issue

I'd appreciate exdpert comments on the following

My current setup has two internet connections, a dialup modem one with fixed
public IPs & an ADSL one with variable IPs. I have different gateway
boxesusing ppp -nat  for each connection ... modem side uses 192.168.0.1
internally & ADSL side uses 192.168.0.2  internally.
In  addition I have a remote dialin arrangement configured on the modem
gateway & can probably make that work on the ADSL gateway without major
problems

Because of the fourth world phone / ADSL network & similar standard
electricity supply in Australia, its essential to have everything automated
as much as possible, consequently I have auto-dial on boot & ppp -ddial
running on both links.

I'd like to combine the two gateway functions into one machine. I think I've
got the ppp.conf figured out I figure its only possible to have one
"default" gateway, so how can one add the second route automatically on
boot.

For example if I add a line in /etc/rc.conf like
"ifconfig_tun0="inet <IP of default modem gateway> will that do the trick,
or will ppp.conf be able to add the route without assistance ??

Will the system get confused with two different implementations of starting
the ppp links in rc.conf ?? (one for modem & one for PPPoE) ??