Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:46:12 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <doug@safeport.com>, "Rodrick Brown" <Rodrick_Brown@newyorklife.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Dialin setup

Unless you can comprehend the dreadful makefile that comes with mgetty I'd
avoid it like the plague. The problem I've had with mgetty is that the
AutoPPP function is broken & nothing short of a compile will (maybe) fix it.
There was a report someplace that its been fixed in later versions but I
haven't had the time to verify that.

By far the best explanation of dialin setup I've found is in MAN PPP ...
probably the ONLY man page thats halfway intelligible but then it was done
largely by the arch guru of PPP ... what Brian Somers doesn't know about PPP
isn't worth knowing. I found that infinitely more descriptive than eg the
Handbook & Pedantic PPP. There are three different configs discussed ... the
first is fiddly, the second works brlliantly for me with proper IPs but I've
yet to get it running with NAT, & the third is a dog because it relies on
mgetty.