Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 10:21:13 +1000
From:      eirvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
To:        Ignacio <izelaya@infovia.com.ar>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (possible offtopic) fbsd 3.2 hangs....

Hi Ignacio,

Ignacio wrote:

> when i write to /dev/fd0  or user wormcontrol the
> system goes down.
>
> if the floppy disk has bad sectors and i make
>
>         dd if=image.flp of=/dev/fd0 bs=2k
>
> all goes to hell.
>
> How do i prevent this?
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD microbio.bbs 3.2-RELEASE
>
> --Ignacio Zelaya

If memory serves me correctly, there was a wee problem with
FreeBSD and floppy drives around the time of 3.2. There was
also a rebooting problem under load sometime back then too,
but again I can't recall the exact versions.

One way to fix it would be to cvsup to the current 3.x
stable branch, version 3.5, and make world. This is how
I'd do it. 3.5 has outstanding stability.

Perhaps there is a quicker fix?

Eddie.