Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:50:53 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5rten?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?_Wikstr=F6m?= <Marten.Wikstrom@framfab.se>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Routing latency

At 02:04 AM 03/20/2001, M=E5rten Wikstr=F6m wrote:

>[snip]
> > >triggers every second and steals too much cpu. So my
> > question is, how can I
> > >decrease this routing delay?
> > Were you loading the interface, or just passing nominal
> > streams? What pps
> > did you pass through the box? Most likely the "delays" are
> > only seen when
> > the machine is close to capacity (the slow CPU you are using
> > doesnt help).
>
>I sent 20000 packets/s, three UDP streams with 60, 200 and 1000 bytes sized
>packets respectively. I also tried just one stream with 60 bytes packets=
 and
>the same behaviour occured.

20k pps is probably beyond the capacity of a 200Mhz PPRO machine to forward=
=20
on an ongoing basis (ie if other processes are running at the machine).

the way the machine behaves over capacity is not as important as its=20
abiltiy to continue running. How it works during normal operations its what=
=20
is important.

Dennis