Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 08:20:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au, roger@cs.strath.ac.uk, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, nsayer@quack.kfu.com
Subject:   Re: Understanding AC97

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Seigo Tanimura wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:32:31 +1030 (CST),
>   "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> said:
>
> Daniel> On 15-Mar-00 Roger Hardiman wrote:
> >> While AC97 is a standard, you still need
> >> to know how to setup the chip which interfaces AC97 to your
> >> ISA or PCI bus.
>
> Daniel> So conceviably you could have acbus0: a la miibus0: ?
>
> Not sure if the configuration will be like that in the future, but we
> now drive AC97 in a unified way implemented in sys/dev/sound/pcm/ac97.c.
>
> It would be interesting to work out a method to determine if a chip
> actually accompanies with an AC97 codec or some other one. Certain
> onboard sound systems have a PCI sound chip and an ISA codec (eg
> CS461x(PCI)-CS423x(ISA) and NeoMagic 256AV(PCI)-MSS(ISA)) to provide a
> legacy interface as well. In most cases these ISA codecs are not compatible
> with AC97, so the drivers need to handle them in a different way.

The only specs I was able to find sugested that AC97 was a feature set
only, and had nothing whatsoever to do with how a chip interfaced, or
handled delivery of the features.  If this is right (I wouldn't mind being
corrected here) then the idea of a acbus0 seems a little strange, with no
definition of what an acbus is.

A "feature" being something like, delivery of stereo audio derived from an
N bit codec, not how to get that data, or what binary format it takes.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.