Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 18:52:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Christopher Nielsen <enkhyl@scient.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read this...

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Wes Peters wrote:

> Greg Lehey wrote:
> >
> > One thing in particular occurred to me in this context: why does Sun
> > want Linux or *BSD?   On the whole, Solaris <whatever number it is
> > this week> is a pretty good operating system, and neither Linux nor
> > *BSD can equal it.  What advantage would I have running FreeBSD on my
> > UltraSparc?  Or should we be doing what NetBSD and OpenBSD are already
> > doing and running it on older (32 bit) Sparc hardware?
>
> That depends on which Sun you're talking about.  From the standpoint
> of Sun Microelectronics, the branch of Sun that sells hardware to OEMs,
> they would garner a royalty-free operating system that can be embeded
> into systems with no licensing fees.  This would be a good incentive
> for some markets they play in, most certainly telecommunications (i.e.
> phone switches).

Sun recently had a reorg. There are no longer individual operating
companies with a parent holding company. Sun is one big company again. I
believe this may have been a contributing factor to the death of the
initial UltraSPARC porting effort.

--
Christopher Nielsen
Scient: The eBusiness Systems Innovator