Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:25:16 -0900
From:      "Beech Rintoul" <lists@northwindcom.net>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Ethernet (xl) will not transmit or receive

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Kevin Oberman
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 7:27 AM
Cc: current@freebsd.org

> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:19:05 -0800
> From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I updated my 5.0 system built in late January to RELENG_5_0 on Sunday
> and the Ethernet was not working. I tried again last night with no
> change in behavior.
>
> The system is an AMD K6-2 on an ASUS P5A mobo. I have a 3Com 3c905B
> Ethernet which had been working fine on a kernel built in late
> January.
>
> The dmesg is not too meaningful, but the system shows no errors. It
> simply never receives a packet. ARPs are all incomplete and no packets
> are transmitted although netstat -in indicates that they are. The
> packets never actually reach the wire, though.
>
> I can't believe that no one else has this card, but I didn't find

> anything in the archives on it.
>
> Any idea what needs to be rolled back and how far? I'm suspicious that
> it might be an mii problem. Maybe even an interrupt issue. I an
> suspicious of the second, empty xlphy0: line in the dmesg, but the
> reported MAC is right and my old kernel that works seems to generate a
> similar empty line.

To follow up with more information:

Several folks suggested ifconfiging the interface down and up (or down
and up with media and mediaopt specified). This did not help at all.

ifconfig shows the interface as up but in hardware loopback at
100BaseTX. I see no link on the line and the status line in the
ifconfig output is blank. I tried to force it to 10BaseT/UTP and
half-duplex, but this did not work.

When the system boots I see link until the device probes. After about
1-2 seconds, link is restored. This is identical to what I see with
the January kernel. Then, when the network is started, the link goes
out and stays out.

I have not had time to try instrumenting the network startup to see
exactly which command does this, but may get a chance this weekend.
The system in question is at home and it's a bit hard to deal with
remotely since I lose connectivity if the system boots the new V5
kernel.

Do you have PNP os on in your bios? I had the same problem with one those
cards several months ago and turning off PNP solved it.

Beech

    Beech Rintoul - Network Administrator - akbeech@northwindcom.net
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  |

 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99518-1841
      No More Spam! http://www.knockmail.com/default.asp?AID=B0R00073