Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 21:35:20 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup prefix -

In article <199708230924.LAA18832@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de>,
Christoph Kukulies  <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE> wrote:

> I'm getting something like
>
> "src is a symlink but should be a directory, check your prefix"
>
> from my cvsup client.
>
> The cvsup ran anyway . I changed the prefix accordingly
> but why this warning?

If you are using checkout mode (tag=something or date=something),
then the warning is a bug.  It will be gone in the next release.

If you are using CVS mode (no "tag" or "date" in your supfile), then
the warning is valid.  In that mode, CVSup intends to preserve all
attributes possible for each file.  If it has a directory but you
have a symlink, it complains.

The "Announce" file for CVSup 15.1 discusses the topic in a little
bit more detail, in the section "Compatibility with Previous
Releases".

John