Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:44:56 -0800
From:      "Robert" <drakcap@pacbell.net>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alexander@Leidinger.net
Subject:    RE: FreeBSD Port: linux-gtk-1.2_4, still drawing from 7.1 libraries?

Thank you for replying, Alexander.  See my comments below.

> netscape 7 doesn't depend upon linux_base here:

Not directly, no - it seems to depend on Linux-GTK directly, and then
Linux-GTK depends on Linux_base.  So if the versions are out-of-sync between
the GTK and the BASE, that could well explain the problems I've experienced
with Netscape (i.e. browser shows blank window with non-functional menus).

> Please make sure you have the right version of linux-gtk:
>% ident Makefile
>Makefile:
>     $FreeBSD: ports/x11-toolkits/linux-gtk/Makefile,v 1.28 2004/12/31
18:24:09 netchild Exp $

Looks like that's the most current version in ports, yes - reading over the
1.28 version of the Makefile, it states plainly that the BASEVERSION is 7.1,
not 8.  Also, according to the list of master sites in that port, it is
still seeking the RPM from the 7.1 folders on the servers and not version 8.

What I might try is to go manually to the following FTP directory:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/8.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

download the "gtk+-1.2.10_22.rpm" and fish out the relevant libraries.  Then
I'll see if Netscape7 works.  As I don't need the Linux GTK for anything
besides Netscape7, it shouldn't mess anything else up on my system.

RE