Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:52:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: proftpd passive weirdness through firewall

Colin Campbell wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> Hi,
>
> I looked but couldn't see. Where are the rules that allow:
>
> outgoing from your ip, port > 1023 to any ip, port > 1023
>
> for passive to work?
>
> Colin

If you remember my last message, outgoing connections are explicitly
allowed.

I just disabled proftpd and brought wu-ftpd back into production (proftpd
was just moved to production a few months ago on probation).  The same
problem occurs with wu-ftpd.  Again, if I disable the firewall rules, it
works.  Perhaps it wasn't proftpd at all, but my firewall config.  (Easy
to explain, since changes occurred to both at around the same time, and
users are notoriously slow at reporting problems anyway).

If I add the following as a low-numbered rule as a thought experiment:

	allow tcp from any to ${ftp} 1023-65535

... it works.  However, that rule is rather a violation of a nicely
secured firewall config :-)

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2