Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 06:25:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java development tools and environment (your experience)

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Artem Koutchine wrote:

> Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 18:13:50 +0400
> From: Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>
> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Java development tools and environment (your experience)
>
> Hello!
>
> I got JDK1.1.8 docs and demos installed from the ports
> and they seem to run just fine. Now, I need to understand
> how to setup my development environment to start
> developing java applets. Also, i need all-in-one kind
> of doc for basic classes. I've seen such doc cut into
> pieces, but i'd rather have it in one big file with examples
> of usage.
>
> Also, i might need some kind of interface designer
> for applets (they are complex ones). Is there such
> thing?
I fetched forte for Java from java.sun.com and *somehow*
(please do not ask me how) managed to run it in FreeBSD's
Linux-emulation.
But I have to admit: I found out, I do not do that sort of
complex programming and so I am happy with any editor that
can do syntax-highlighting (Glimmer, jedit or even the
built-in editor of midnight-commander will do for me). Also
very helpful is any window-manager with multiple virtual
windows (fvwm2, sawfish, ice-wm ...) because one can look at
one's sources, webbrowser, terminals at the same time.

And: You will find the latest jdk
in /usr/ports/java/linux-jdk14

Uli.